Office of the DeKalb County District Attorney

Stone Mountain Judicial Circuit

Sherry Boston, District Attorney


November 17, 2022

State vs. Angelo Lenon Sentencing Update

Decatur, Ga.
- Defendant Angelo Lenon received three life sentences on Tuesday, November 15, 2022 for his role in an armed robbery and shootout that left three people dead in 2019. Jurors returned guilty verdicts on October 28, 2022, against 25-year-old Angelo Lenon on two counts of Malice Murder, three counts of Felony Murder, Conspiracy to Commit a Felony, two counts of Aggravated Assault, Possession of a Firearm by a First Offender Probationer, and Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony, in connection with the shooting deaths of 23-year-old Daishone Flagg and 26-year-old Jeremie Tyson. A co-conspirator, 23-year-old Andrew Barkley, was also killed in the shootout. During court proceedings Tuesday before Senior Judge Daniel M. Coursey, who presided over the trial, Defendant Lenon was sentenced to two consecutive terms of life without parole in prison, plus five years on a related firearms charge. The judge also imposed a third life sentence to run concurrently.
The fatal incident occurred on March 14, 2019, at the Vineyard Walk Apartments, located at I-20 and Flat Shoals Parkway, where victims Flagg and Tyson were visiting at the time. According to the investigation, Defendant Lenon and Barkley spoke via text message about a photo of drugs that had been posted on a social media account. Lenon recruited Barkley and the two conspired to meet up the following day to rob the location of the drugs. 

The following evening, Barkley’s girlfriend dropped him off at a park across from a nearby middle school, where he got into Defendant Lenon’s car. The two traveled to the Vineyard Walk apartment complex. At about 1:30 a.m., Lenon and Barkley entered the apartment with firearms. They quickly made sure it was clear before shooting Tyson and Flagg, the only individuals present in the apartment. Flagg was shot in the forehead with a pistol and Tyson in the back with a shotgun. Lenon ordered Barkley to retrieve Tyson’s gun from him, believing he was dead. Tyson, however, was able to fire shots in self-defense, striking Barkley as the two ran out the front door. Tyson exited out of the back door and collapsed in the grass, where he called 911. 
Tyson and Flagg were transported to Grady Hospital where they both eventually succumbed to their injuries. Barkley collapsed in the main road of the apartment complex while fleeing, where he was located unresponsive. He was also transported to Grady Hospital where he later died.  
Later that morning, Lenon contacted Barkley’s girlfriend, asking if she had heard from him. When she confronted him with the fact that she knew about their plans from the text messages she had seen, Lenon confessed that their plan for the robbery “went left” and it turned into a shootout in which Barkley was shot and killed. Lenon also admitted to taking a shotgun to the scene, shooting Tyson, and that Flagg had been shot in the head while asleep on the couch. In an attempt to confirm her boyfriend’s whereabouts, she shared this information with Barkley’s family, who contacted police. Lenon was arrested on March 18, 2019, in Newnan. 
The case was prosecuted by Senior Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Scacco, with assistance from Senior ADA Ashley Johnson, DA Investigator Christopher Franklin, and Victim Advocates Lexi Markova and Breanna Sawyer. Detective Prince Wright of the DeKalb County Police Department led the initial investigation.