- The U.S. has 44 million people age 60 or older, and 36 million people with disabilities.
- In the last decade, the number of domestic elder abuse reports investigated by Adult Protective Services across the nation has increased by more than 150%.
- Almost 62% percent of all cases of abuse, neglect, or exploitation of adults living at home involve mistreatment by other people and 38% involve self-neglect.
- Domestic elder abuse is a family problem - almost 90% of abusers were family members.
- Men were the abusers in over half of elder abuse cases.