DeKalb DA Teams with Parks Department in Child Abuse Awareness and Prevention Campaign
Children’s Shoe Drive to Benefit DeKalb DFACS
Decatur, Ga. – The Office of the DeKalb County District Attorney is partnering with the DeKalb County Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Affairs in a joint effort to raise awareness about child abuse in commemoration of National Child Abuse Prevention Month, recognized annually each April.
The agencies are hosting an inaugural children’s shoe drive titled, ‘A Mile in their Shoes,’ a figurative and literal acknowledgement of the plight of children suffering from abuse. New and gently used shoes will be accepted at donation sites throughout the county starting on Monday, April 22, 2019.
The goods will be donated to the DeKalb County Division of Family and Children Services (DFACS) to benefit the children it serves.
“We are excited to partner with the DeKalb County Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs in this manner,” said District Attorney Sherry Boston. “We want to raise awareness about this critical issue while filling a practical need that provides a measure of comfort and care.”
Donations can be made at the following drop-off locations:
· Browns Mill Recreation Center, 5101 Browns Mill Rd, Lithonia,GA,30038
· Exchange Recreation Center, 2771 Columbia Drive, Decatur, GA 30034
· Gresham Recreation Center, 3113 Gresham Road, Atlanta, GA 30316
· Hamilton Recreation Center, 3263 Chapel Street, Scottdale, GA 30079
· Lucious Sanders Recreation Center, 2484 Bruce Street, Lithonia, GA 30058
· Mason Mill Recreation Center, 1340-B McConnell Drive, Decatur, GA 30033
· N.H. Scott Recreation Center, 2230 Tilson Road, Decatur, GA 30032
· Tobie Grant Recreation Center, 644 Parkdale Drive, Scottdale, GA 30079
The shoe drive runs through May 10th.